Saturday, July 9, 2011

Camping Queen


We went camping out at Deer Creek yesterday. Probably some of the most fun I've had all summer :) Not only is Kaitlin in town all week...but camping has always been one of my favorite things to do. Instead of my family going on these really luxurious vacations on airplanes and cruises...we'd always just pack up the van and head to some national forest and go camping for a few days. So now, I was able to do one of my favorite things with some of my very bestest friends :) 



There were three other boys with us - but we were still able to set up the tent without (too much of) their help.


"This isn't real. No one looks this good when they go camping." -- said Taran Sorensen. So kind :)


The most fun we had was spent out on the lake in this little kayak. We took it out for a couple hours after we set up camp the night we got there, and then took it out again right after breakfast the next morning. The guys we were with (Kaitlin's friends from her study abroad in Jerusalem), threatened us that they were going to flip our kayak...we complained and whined and made some sissy excuse about not wanting to get our clothes wet...yeah yeah. For a while we thought they were actually going to pity us - but I was very much mistaken. We paddled around for a good while, talking about boys and love - future dreams and recent memories - singing songs from Veggies Tales and Taylor Swift...until we ended back up next to the other kayak...long story short, within ten minutes out kayak was turned over and all three of us were under the icy water of the reservoir. It actually felt pretty darn good :) Not gonna lie. Sure, my clothes were soaking wet and the water was about as cold as Barton Springs back home, but I was having a blast and all I could really do was laugh at the situation. I swam for what seemed like two miles (against the current...haha) attempting to get back to the dock, until I gave up and they came to pick me up on a kayak. 
Sunburns, blisters, and about a thousand mosquito bites later - we're still laughing about what a fun trip it was :) We're determined to make at least a monthly camping trip this fall, up until it starts getting too snowy. 

I'm so lucky to have such great people in my life to make such lasting memories with!

No comments:

Post a Comment